So what makes a good salad? Well whatever keeps you happy! That said though there a couple of things we can do to make sure our salads are loaded with the good stuff and keep us feeling full.
- Adding a variety of vegetables – be it mixed lettuce, tomatoes, roast vegetables, cucumber or avocado
- Think about adding a source of slowly digested carbohydrates – a grain is a great idea, think barley, quinoa, pasta or freekeh
- Add a good source of fat (this helps to ensure vitamins are absorbed and it also slows down the digestion of food, this helps to keep us fuller for longer), think nuts/seeds, avocado, olive oil or tahini
- See this as an opportunity to get a serve of dairy (and deliciousness!) – add feta or shaved Parmesan
- Make your salad a bit larger to get an extra couple of serves to have for lunch or dinner again the next day